Aveneu Park, Starling, Australia

EXECUTIVE acres of land. It is situated

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Kargil Nagar
Basti is located at Bhubaneswar Odisha, Post of Pokhariput, PS AIR Field, Dist.
Khurda, Pin code- 751020,Ward No. 62. This slum got its existence towards early
2000, with some of the construction workers of the Lingaraj vihar settling.
Slowly this has grown with more than 10 Streets ( Sahis)  such as  Pani tanki, Dalei, Mangala, Mahavir, Trinath,
Tarini,  Madan Mohan ,Bihari, Shiva
Mandir, Trinath railway, 1500 – 2000 households with nearing 8000 population.
Kargil nagar is the second largest and one of the fast growing slums of
Bhubaneswar city. This slum covers 27 acres of land. It is situated
within the abandoned stone quarry and directly opposite to UMBC. It is the
second biggest slum in Bhubaneswar with little or no access to basic services
or government support.Community depends on various occupation such as ,
Daily labour, Mason, Plumper, Driver, Vendor, Business, Carpenter, Tiler and
Marble Mason, Electrician, Wielding, Mechanic and Painter. There are 20 SHG
group in the community.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!


order now

The
overall objective of is to study the socio economic status of Kargil slum
Bhubaneswar Odisha. For achieving the aforesaid objectives a survey was
conducted through developed structure questionnaire. During the survey
individuals, groups of community members, were interviewed along with personal
observations and transect walks.

As the crux of the study assessment the
following results have emerged

1. There are approximately 1500
households  with 8000 population, Male
52% and female 48%.

2. The result of the study
regarding type of construction of houses revealed that , about 41% of
households have Semi-Pucca construction 38% households have Pucca and only 21%
of the households have Kutcha house.

3. 79% of households are
electrified and enjoying the facilities but remaining 21% households does not
have electricity connection.

4. 84% of the total households
have their own establishment remaining 16 % do not have their own
establishment.

5.Only 67% of the total households
have LPG connection. 23% families used firewood and 11% families use kerosene
for cooking.

6.30% of the
households are in SHG group member but remaining 70% are not in the group
member.

7. 91% of the
families are access to banking facilities and only 9% of the families do not
access to the banking facilities

8. 51 % of the total households are having the resident’s
identity card but 49% of the families do not have resident’s identity card

9.
40% of the total households depend on daily wage, but only 357 households have
labour card. 23% of the total households depends on Business 12% of total
households are working as Pvt. Employee. 9% of the families are drivers and 7%
of the total households are Mason. 2% of the households depend on others
occupation such as Priests, Magician, Loader, Rent, Pension, Farmer, gold smith, black
smith etc. 1% of the households occupation is Tiler, Painter, Electrician,
contractor, Govt.job, Tailoring, Plumber, Welder and Phone technician.

10.
2% of the population earn below 5000 and 39% of the population earns between
5000-10000 and 58% earns more than 10000.

11.
54% is spend on food , 10% is spend on health, 9% is spend on education, 8% is
spend on households maintenance, 7% spend on Festivals, 5% is spend on Friends
and relatives, 2% is spend on rent and 1% is spend on other like water bill,
outing etc.

12. 49% of the households get water from the pipe
supply. 43% families depends on the bore well and only 7% families use open
well for drinking water.

13 only 7% have drainage system and the remaining 93
% do not have drainage system.

14.  65 % of
the families have their own toilet. But still 26 % of the family defecates
outside. These families defecate on the railway track, open ground and deep dug
stone query. 9% of the families share toilet with their neighbored house. 37%
of the families have attached bathroom and toilet and 30% families have
bathroom but not attached. 23% of the families do not have bathroom, they use
open well, bore well to take shower. 9% of the families use the community bath
(5families’ one common bathroom and toilet)

15. 53 % male children go to school and 47% female
children go to school. In General category 43% of children go to school which
consists of male 213  and female 173 out
of the total children going to school. In OBC category 26% children going to
school consisting male 117 and female 112. In SC category 16% of children go to
school which consists of male 67 and female 73 out of the total children going
to school, only SC category female are more than male. In ST category 15% go to
school, where male is 70 and female is 63.

x

Hi!
I'm Simon!

Would you like to get a custom essay? How about receiving a customized one?

Check it out